This is a natural herb containing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This particular herb is considered to be hepatic, a demulcent, a galactogogue and cholagogue. Milk thistle aids enzyme formation meaning it can help digestion. The active ingredient in milk thistle is known as silymarin.
- Hepatic – meaning it relates to the liver
- Demulcent – relieving irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth.
- Galactagogue – increase a mothers milk production.
- Chologogue – promotes a discharge of bile from the system.
Milk thistle is generally taken as liver support because it helps rebuild liver cells whilst removing toxins from the body.
Other beneficial factors -
- Boosts immune system by reducing free radicals
- The active ingredient known as silymarin has been shown to help glycemic control which is linked to diabetes
A generally accepted dosage is around 1 capsule twice per day with food