The maximum benefit of fish oil comes from Omega 3. Omega 3 is further divided into two types; EPA and DHA. Both are present in cold water fish and help in regulating many body functions.
Sources of EPA & DHA
These are naturally found in salmon fish, anchovies, sardines and halibut.
EPA fish oil
EPA stands for Eicosapentaenoic acid. It is a poly-unsaturated fatty acid or PUFA. Chemically, it is made up of 20 carbon molecules connected with five double bonds. The presence of this EPA makes it possible for fish to live in chilled water as EPA works as a biological thermo-regulator.
DHA fish oil
DHA or docosahexaenoic acid is present in most of the fish in abundance. DHA can be subsequently converted into EPA in the body. DHA is also found in breast milk and is the part of most of the baby milk formula.
Amount of EPA and DHA needed for the human body
A total of 500mg of EPA and DHA is the recommended daily dose. Taking recommended amount of EPA and DHA in help as a precaution of cardiovascular disease. For patients who are already suffering from cardiovascular disease are advised to increase the amount of EPA and DHA to as much as 800mg daily.
EPA and DHA as supplement
It is not possible for consume fish on daily basis to fulfill the daily dose of EPA and DHA for the body and there are very less food that have EPA and DHA other than fish. A 1000mg fish oil capsule provides not more than 300mg of EPA and DHA. That is why higher dose of fish oil supplement are recommended. Two fish oil supplement capsules are advised to fulfill the requirement of 500mg of EPA and DHA.
There are many companies that are manufacturing EPA & DHA supplements. It is highly advised to purchase fish oil supplement from a manufacturer that follows GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) guidelines. As the fish oil needs to be properly purified
Common benefits of EPA & DHA
There are many health benefits of EPA & DHA fish oil. Some major benefits are stated below
- It drastically reduces the risk of heart diseases particularly coronary heart disease. It also helps in overcoming stroke ✓
- Fish oil plays vital role in reducing symptoms of anxiety, depression and other mental disorders ✓
- For pain in bones and joint, fish oil is prescribed by physicians as it heals joint pain and arthritis ✓
- Fish oil also facilitates weight loss and helps in boosting energy levels ✓
- Research proves that fish oil is inevitable for brain functions. It helps in reducing brain atrophy and hence Alzheimer’s patients are advised to take fish oil supplement for better brain functions ✓